Talk About this blog

Monday, September 8, 2014

Response to "All Writing Is Autobiography" by Donald M. Murray

I am going to be answering 3 questions from the book Writing About Writing, pertaining to a piece in it by Donald M. Murray.

2.         In what ways, according to Murray, is writing an autobiography? Can you categorize the ways that Murray believes writing is autobiography?

            Writing is autobiography because it almost always shows your experiences and always shows your voice. Writing is very personal and shaped by who you are. I do not believe you can categorize the ways that Murray believes writing is autobiography because writing is so limitless. There are no truly defined categories or solid lines. Everything is blurred and combined to make original, exciting pieces.

5.         Consider the implications of Murray’s arguments: If he’s right, how do his ideas change the way you think about writing? Would they encourage you to write any differently than you currently do?

            I agree with Murray’s arguments very deeply. His opinions and thoughts did not sway me because I have always thought of writing in a very similar way to Murray.

6.         Consider the last few texts that you have written, whether for school, work, or personal reasons. Consider the ways that these are-or are not- autobiography in the sense that Murray describes.


            Every text I have written has always been autobiography in some fashion. Some go deep enough to talk about myself and reflect on experiences while some I may just be a side character. There are others though that are not about me in any way that are still autobiographical; this is because they reflect my writing style, opinions, and interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment